2017-2018 Henson Fuerst College Scholarship Essay Program
Henson Fuerst implements a college scholarship essay program each year, where students can submit an essay on a thought provoking issue, to be entered for a chance to be awarded a $1,000 scholarship.
To enter the essay program, write a short paper on either of these two topics; “Texting and Driving” or “Safety on College Campuses”.
This Essay Program is open to current undergraduate students who are attending an accredited college or university anywhere in the United States. Applicants must submit a 750 word essay on one of the below topics.
Please email submissions to HensonFuerstScholarship@gmail.com no later than May 15, 2018. Please be sure to title the subject line “Henson Fuerst College Scholarship Essay Program.”
- Essay Topic #1 – Texting and Driving
- The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year. Nearly 330,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving. 1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving.
- Do you text & drive? Do your friends text & drive? Do you know anyone that has been seriously injured due to texting & driving? What can you do to help prevent people from using their mobile devices when driving? Can you think of what would be an effective method to deter teenagers and adults from this dangerous and reckless behavior?
- Essay Topic 2 – Safety on College Campuses
- In 2014, there were 27,000 criminal incidents against persons and property on campus at public and private 2-year and 4-year post-secondary institutions that were reported to police and security agencies. Among the various types of on-campus crimes reported in 2014, there were 13,500 burglaries, constituting 50% of all criminal incidents. Other commonly reported crimes included forcible sex offenses (6,700 incidents, or 25% of crimes) and motor vehicle theft (2,900 incidents, or 11% of crimes). In addition, 2,100 aggravated assaults and 1,100 robberies were reported. And these are only the reported acts of crimes.
- Have you ever been to a frat party where students were so drunk they passed out or ended up in the hospital from alcohol poisoning? Have you ever tried to intervene to help a fellow student in need, after seeing shady behavior? What changes do you think the establishment should make to reduce student deaths, injuries and theft on campus?
Starting October 1, 2017, you can submit your 750-word essay to enter the Henson Fuerst 2nd Annual College Scholarship Essay Program.
To be eligible, send an email and your essay to HensonFuerstScholarship@gmail.com by 5/15/2018. Please include the following information in the body of your email: First Name, Last Name, Current School, Academic Standing as of Spring ‘17 (Freshman, Sophomore, etc.), College or University Attended, and Major (if applicable).
Essay Format: Send only Microsoft Word document entries, with the file name “FirstName_LastName_MMDDYY”. Only entries submitted in this format will be considered. Essays must be 750 words, typed, double-spaced, and use standard margins.
- May 15, 2018
Number Of Awards
- 1 annually
WE LOOK FORWARD TO READING YOUR ESSAYS!
Disclaimer: This program is open to current undergraduate students who are attending an accredited college or university in one of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia. You must be a legal resident of the United States. Employees of Henson Fuerst and members of their immediate families living in the same household, their parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, and their advertising, promotion, and production agencies, are not eligible to enter.