There are over 28,000 registered mopeds statewide, and moped owners in North Carolina need to be aware of important new regulations. Recent changes to North Carolina law will impact the type of insurance that moped owners are required to carry. This new law is an important step toward protecting the safety of all drivers.
Here is what North Carolina moped owners need to know about this new state law:
- All moped owners are required to carry liability insurance as of July 1st.
- Moped owners that cannot product proof of insurance will have their license plate revoked.
- Proof of insurance coverage can be given to a local DMV in person, or the insurance company can send proof of insurance to the DMV directly.
Because mopeds offer little protection from other vehicles and hazardous road conditions, riders should take the proper safety precautions at all times when out for a ride.
- Always wear a certified helmet
- Obey the rules of the road like any other vehicle
- Always carry your insurance and registration information with you
- Wear protective eyewear when riding a moped
Like motorcycles, moped drivers face many hazards on the road that passenger vehicle occupants would never consider.
Call Henson Fuerst, Because Your Case Matters