There’s nothing quite as unexpected and scary as a car accident – except for when the accident involves child passengers. Unfortunately, car accidents involving children are all too common. The National Safety Council reports that car crashes are one of the leading causes of death for children.
In fact, in 2017 alone, every 32 seconds a child under the age of 13 was involved in a passenger vehicle crash. As alarming, in the same year, 675 children of the same age were killed in motor vehicle crashes. Fortunately, this is an issue that has some effective precautionary measures that can help to minimize the risk of injury or death.
As we celebrate National Child Passenger Safety Week this week (September 15-21), we take a look at what we can do to better protect our children.
Transporting Your Children Safely
One of the very best ways to protect your children from injury or death is to ensure that they are properly secured in their seat – whether that includes a car seat or not. Although each state has its own requirements concerning child restraint systems, the National Safety Council has expressed its belief that more should be done to combat this scary issue. Here are some tips that the NSC suggests.
- Until the age of 12, all children should ride in the back seat of the car
- Be sure that every child is properly seat belted prior to moving
- Always serve as an example and wear your own seatbelt
- Take advantage of this week’s car seat safety checks held nationwide for National Child Passenger Safety Week
- Ensure that your child’s seat has not been recalled (check with the manufacturer)
- Since airbags can prove fatal to small children, be sure they are seated correctly
- Never place a rear-facing car seat in the front seat
- Make sure that you know the proper way to secure your child’s car seat
- Always double check your vehicle when getting out to be sure that no child is left behind
Henson Fuerst Can Help
If your child has been injured in an auto vehicle accident due to the negligence or recklessness of another, it can have a profound impact on many aspects of their life – and yours. You and your family should not have to pay for the careless mistakes of someone else.
The experienced North Carolina car accident lawyers can help you to navigate the legal system and help secure the compensation you need. At Henson Fuerst we fight for what serves you best. To learn more or to schedule a free consultation, call us at 919-781-1107.