According to an informative video released by the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington DC, approximately 87% of voters believe there are currently “too many lawsuits filed in America.” These people are referring to civil—rather than criminal—lawsuits, which they often call “frivolous.” The full video on the nature and value of civil lawsuits appears below:
The Civil Lawsuit
A civil lawsuit is a legal action between two people—or between a person and a corporation. In most cases, civil lawsuits are brought in order to settle civil disputes between parties—typically to hold someone accountable when their actions cause harm to others.
While insurance companies, drug manufacturers, and oil companies have spent millions of dollars to perpetuate the myth of the frivolous lawsuit, the real evidence shows us the number of civil lawsuits filed has been on the decline for decades. In fact:
- In 1993, some 10 out of 1000 Americans (1%) filed civil lawsuits
- By 2015, only 2 out of 1000 Americans (0.2%) filed civil lawsuits
The Real Value of the Civil Lawsuit
At its core, our civil justice system exists in order to give all Americans a fair chance to receive justice. Past civil suits have had major positive impacts that affected us all. Examples of civil lawsuits that have helped keep our communities safe include:
- Recalls by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) have removed over 850 dangerous toys since 1974 for choking hazards, harmful materials, or injury risk.
- Legal action forced automakers to implement improved standards regarding fuel tank position and support, greatly reducing the risk of injury by fire or explosion.
- After the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill, trial lawyers spent 20 years holding the company accountable for over 10 million gallons of oil affecting over 1,000 miles of coastline.
Each of these legal actions—born from civil lawsuits—have led to ongoing safety improvements and stricter standards regarding corporate accountability. The improvements gained have helped improve lives and ensure safety for millions of Americans. That is far from frivolous.
We Can Help
If you or a loved one has been injured through no fault of your own as a result of the negligent actions of others, call the experienced North Carolina Personal Injury Attorneys at Henson Fuerst today at 919-781-1107 or complete a free initial consultation form.
When you call, you will speak with one of our experienced Raleigh Personal Injury lawyers. They will investigate every detail of your situation at no cost to you—and fight hard to protect your rights. At Henson Fuerst, you will never pay an attorney’s fee up front—and you owe us nothing unless we recover for you.