With Halloween day finally here, Henson Fuerst would like to share some insights on keeping our children safe this Halloween!
On the sidewalk, adhere to the following Halloween Safety Tips:
- Make sure children never run across streets or through intersections
- Have all children use flashlights and wear reflective tape or glow sticks
- Make sure children under 12 always travel with a responsible adult
- Make sure all older children travel with friends in well-lit areas
- Make sure children look left, right, left again before crossing
- Stick to sidewalks, walk facing traffic, and stay far to the left
- Make sure children stop for any cars backing out of driveways
- Make sure children do not text or stare at phones while walking
Children are twice as likely to be hit and killed by a car on Halloween compared to any other day on the calendar. Approximately 15% of young people aged 5-9 and 7% of those aged 10-15 were killed darting into the street—and 15% of the lives lost were attributed to poor visibility.
Watch the Road
For children old enough to drive—and any adults who may be driving on Halloween night—Nationwide Insurance offers useful tips to help ensure our roads remain safe:
- Slow Down: Halloween means more children on the street. Always drive below the speed limit in residential areas—particularly during peak hours for trick-or-treaters.
- Lights On: Even in daylight, drive with your lights on to make your vehicle more visible. This will also help you see children in dark-colored costumes—wherever they are.
- Cut Distractions: Turn off your cell phone to prevent anything from breaking your concentration while driving. Let passengers handle simple tasks like changing the radio station.
We Can Help
If you or a loved one has been seriously injured in a pedestrian accident through no fault of your own, call the experienced North Carolina Pedestrian Accident Attorneys at Henson Fuerst today at 919-781-1107 or complete a free initial consultation form.
When you call, you will speak with one of our experienced Raleigh Personal Injury Attorneys. They will investigate every detail of your situation at no cost to you—and fight hard to protect your rights. At Henson Fuerst, you will never pay an attorney’s fee up front—and you owe us nothing unless we recover for you.